The 66% of the young population – under the age of 35, are becoming millennial young mortgage borrowers. It is also true that the home loan market is driven by young borrowers in the 26-35 age bracket – around 25% and also by people in the 36-45 age bracket – around 28 %. They are all active home loan audiences and together represent 53% of annual arrangements.
The average home loan ticket size of young borrowers has steadily increased over the past 5 years, with a CAGR of 6.2%. The amount of the ticket continues to increase more for women than for men. The cumulative active home loan base of these borrowers has grown steadily over the past 3 years at a CAGR of 3.5%.
These young borrowers were at the origin of the evolution of the mortgage market.
Within the affordable segment, the growth in the volume of home loans from Rs 15 to 35 lakh, over the last 4 to 5 years, indicates a shift in buyer preferences towards higher note sizes. The demand for rural housing for mid-size and larger tickets has also continued to increase over the past 5 years. The share of annual creations (volume) of note size Rs 35-75 lakh has increased by 4% in the last 5 years. The share of annual departures of Rs 75 lakh plus ticket size has increased from 0.37% to 0.87% over the past 5 years.
The share of annual issuances of Rs 15 lakh note size has been declining over the past 5 years, largely due to declining demand for the very small segment of Rs 2 lakh note size.
Scarcity of disposable income has been a disincentive for the working class to take out a home loan and buy property. Since the cost of inputs in real estate has increased the rates, the working class has no choice but to seek real estate loans from financial institutions. Interestingly, the repayment term of the home loan fluctuates between 11 and 30 years.
There is also a disincentive for the salaried class in home loans and EMIs. EMIs are no longer favorable since financial institutions attract more of the interest in EMIs first and the principal component is less retained in more than the top 50 percent of EMIs. As EMIs are nearly completed, the interest component becomes negligible and the principal component is much higher.
Even though the buyer has the option to prepay the home loan, they end up paying most of the principal amount rather than saving on interest. In addition, financial institutions also charge hefty fees on the pre-closing of loans. If the buyer opts for a longer occupancy period for the repayment of the loan, then it is difficult for the buyer to invest in a second home.
A question that has been frequently asked is – “If the amount of principal and interest is predefined, why can’t EMIs have an equal amount throughout the tenure.”
As for the tax benefit, repayment of the principal amount of a home loan qualifies for a deduction under Section 80C, which has an upper limit of Rs 1.50 lakh per annum. Since the same section – 80C, has a number of other investments including PF, PPF and life insurance policies etc., it becomes impossible for a buyer to enjoy any benefit of this section.
Buyers are eagerly waiting to increase this limit in the Union-2022 budget, as this limit has not been increased in recent years.
Regarding the tax benefit for interest payment, as under Section 20(b) of the Income Tax Act, there is a ceiling of Rs 2 lakh per annum on the interest portion of the home loan, as home loans are larger, the home buyers also cannot enjoy the same. To extend the tax benefit to buyers, the government has also added some subsections 80EE, 80EEA under the income tax law, but the volume of loans does not allow buyers to get the additional benefits. desired from these subsections.
Perhaps what was needed in the
One of the greatest philanthropists
Globally, investing in real estate is directly linked to a buyer’s future and also to the growth of the economy, and the same is true in India.
2022 budget may consider levying TDS/TCS on crypto trading, making it reportable in SFT
There are 570 job openings at Indian Oil Corporation for freshmen who have not yet graduated